15 March, 2010

Take away with you how much you put in...

Although I run my own business, I still enjoy lecturing and teaching to impart what I know as best as I can to others. Hence, I am currently an adjunct lecturer where I teach once a week at the university. It is very interesting for me to see how students 'short change' themselves. They are distracted with their phones (yes... in class... How rude.) and are half-hearted when they participate in class activities. It's as if nothing you do is good enough to engage them in the class. The attitude given is as if they are participating in the class activities as a favor to the lecturer. I find it really funny. Whatever their reasons may be for enrolling themselves in the class, it is a choice they made. Hence, having made that choice would mean that they need to abide by the conditions and rules set by the lecturer-in-charge. If they are not happy with the conditions and rules, then they can withdraw themselves from the class. Simple isn't it? Why torture yourself and the lecturer for an entire semester?

Times have certainly changed. Students tend to forgot that lecturers were once students too. I remember when I was in university, I would participate as best as I can in all the activities assigned. I may not be good at all the activities or I may be tired and can't give my 100% but I always tried to do what I can. It's all about putting in the effort. It's not about scoring distinctions. If I could, I would give distinctions to those who always try their best and put the effort to do their best. Those who have the talent or are capable tend to be more complacent or provide loads of excuses. It is always the students who may not be the most talented or gifted in the class but always puts in his/her best effort that I admire most. They make up for their lack in effort and I think that takes courage and determination. These are values that build admirable characters.

"The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination" ~ Tommy Lasorda ~

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I totally agree with you. Unfortunately our education system emphasizes too much on the end result - that usually means doing well in exams, not learning as much as you can for use in the future.
    Wai Fung

    ReplyDelete