12 March, 2010

BIG Day OUT Tomorrow...

Now it's my turn to be anxious and excited. Meng Ee will be doing his first individual biathlon tomorrow and I am his guide. No pressure?!? *Glup* I've done a few biathlons before and my last was in 2008.

This time the feeling is different. Being a guide is different from competing or racing for yourself. When you are a guide, you are technically responsible for the person you are guiding and not so much yourself. Like my focus is not on myself but Meng Ee instead. I am not saying that I can then put myself in harms way but my focus has changed. It is no longer about what my race plan is or how I am going race. But it is about how I can best guide the Meng Ee for him to race his best. A whole different perspective in itself. With Meng Ee, I am literally 'lending' him my eyes to navigate him in the sea and through the run. So in some sense, how he performs, does depend on what I do and how best I guide him.

Of the swim and run segments, I am more anxious about the swim segment as it is more unpredictable. You don't know how the currents and tides will be until tomorrow. Plus, we don't know which swimmer will change from front crawl strokes to breast strokes. So in some sense, we just need to take things in our stride. We have done our best to prepare for the race and that's all we can do.

If you are also participating in the biathlon tomorrow, all the BEST and race safe. And if you see Meng Ee along the course, do cheer him on. See you all tomorrow and rest well.

No comments:

Post a Comment