12 March, 2010

Two Bronze and A Gold

The 8 year old that I have been having sessions with won two bronze medals (200m & 300m individual) and a gold medal (4 x 100m relay) today at his school's sports day. I went to support him at his individual events this morning. He was very nervous and excited. When the gun went off for his 200m finals, he was very focused and did all that he was told. You could see him panting hard and running his heart out. And he finished 3rd!!! He was smiling from ear to ear after the race. You could see the big smile on his face a mile away. He was very happy! And I was proud and happy for him. Next was his 300m finals. He was still a little nervous but a little more settled. 300m is a long way for a 8 year old. In any case, he ran with all his might and finished 3rd as well. He was tired but delighted. I am sure the smile and joy will be permanently etched on his face for the rest of the day or week. And mine too =o)

To be honest, I was a little nervous for him this morning too. I really wanted him to do well and for him to be proud of his own achievements. Yesterday he asked me if it was alright if he does not win or get a medal. I told him that winning or getting a medal is not important. The important thing is that I want to see him do his best and the medals are a bonus. Then he said that he really wanted to win a medal. But I told him to just focus on running his best. And he did!!

I could not stay to watch him run in his relay finals. His mother sms-ed me to tell me that his team won the race. So from wanting a medal, he got THREE! I am very proud of him and am sure he will fill me on his relay event when I see him next week.

It is moments like these that keeps my passion burning to keep going with my programmes and make a difference in the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment